Monday, May 21, 2007

Serving Others Doesn't Come Easy

I am reading through the Gospel of Mark this week, and as usual, God is speaking to me about an area of my life that needs improvement. This week it is about serving and loving others. Chapter 10 recounts the story of James and John and their request to sit at the right and left of Jesus in Heaven. Jesus asks them if they really understand what they are asking. They answer him saying yes, they understand and are willing. At this point Jesus calls all the disciples together and says, “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mark 10:43-45) This is the reoccurring theme running through my reading this week.

I was about to write I want to serve in ministry but what I meant to say is I want to work in ministry. I am beginning to see the difference. Until I am willing to serve others, I am not ready to work in ministry.

Here’s the rub. I spent a career in the military as a noncommissioned officer. I retired with 3 up and 2 down. I didn’t serve anyone. Instead, I had others serving me. At that time I wouldn’t have used the term “serve” but “command.” I had upwards of 40 plus soldiers reporting to me at any one time and I only reported to one person. Now, eight years later, I am supposed to turn this completely around and serve the 40 plus. Now don’t hear what I didn’t say. I am in complete agreement with this, and I hope that I present this attitude in my current position. But just the same, it is an adjustment to my natural way of doing things. Ah, but isn’t that the point? I am not to act as one of this world, but as one of God’s children who belongs to another world.

Things to continue pondering…

No comments:

Post a Comment