Saturday, July 01, 2006

Help Explorers Discover the Real Meaning of Life

In my first posting, the question came up, “What is the purpose of the church?” I never intended for the conversation to go in that direction (blame it on being new to blogging). As my friend says in his blog, “I think Rick Warren has written extensively enough on that subject that we can just say – ‘read the book.’” The point I was trying to make was more to expand on Irwin McManus' statement, “Traction comes when outsiders experience the church as a place where honest questions can be asked when people journey together to discover God and find the answers in him.”

I have seen examples of churches that are so focused on themselves, that a new person does not feel welcome in their midst. McManus writes of several examples of this. My prayer is our ministry will always welcome unbelievers and their questions. We want to help them explore their faith; and in so doing, hopefully lead them to a point where they will invite Jesus into their life.

Now before we go any further, don’t hear what I didn’t say. I know the Holy Spirit is the one who saves; it has nothing to do with our intentions, or efforts for that matter. But I do believe we can create an environment that is conducive to helping seekers discover Jesus, and encourage them to take a leap of faith (I couldn’t resist the cliché). And isn’t that what it’s all about? Reaching out to the lost and helping them discover there is a real meaning to their life. That’s the whole thought behind my tagline, “...take hold of life that is real”. (1 Tim 6:19)

Those are my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment